Sunday, May 13, 2018

Special Mother's Day Post (secretly written about Kaitlin)



Today's blog post is a very special and unique one - different from what you'd normally be reading about here at Norris Lane. Today, I (Steven) have secretly logged into Kaitlin's Blogger account in order to brag to you all about her.

Typically you'd find all kinds of cute pictures and updates about our two lovely daughters and what we've been up to as a family. Instead today I'm sharing about the wonderful woman, wife, and mother that makes everything about our loving family possible. 

Recently, in a fit of selfishness, I shared with Kaitlin that staying home alone with and watching both girls is exhausting and not my favorite thing to do. She could have, any maybe even should have, laughed in my face at that remark. But she didn't. That's just not who she is.

For those of you who don't know, on top of all she does during the week, Kaitlin spends ALL day every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday taking care of our girls while I'm at work. And she doesn't just merely "take care" of the girls. She loves on them like you wouldn't believe. She wakes them up, feeds them healthy meals, she plays with them and talks to them, she teaches them, comforts them, reads to them, disciplines them, bathes them, changes and dresses them, prays with them, and puts them to sleep. She takes them on walks, takes them to the library, and takes them on play dates with friends. On top of all the kid stuff she shops for groceries, washes and folds laundry, cooks, cleans, plans baby showers for friends, gets gifts for extended family, works out 6 days a week, and the list just goes on... it truly does.

Now you can see why she could have laughed at me for my comment about watching the girls the other day.  

Beyond of all the kid stuff and normal house duties she takes on, she still manages to be a huge blessing to me at the end of my work days. She doesn't dump the kids on me or hand me a list of housekeeping to-dos the moment I get home from work each evening. She creates a space in the evenings where I can come home, relax and enjoy her company. We talk, we laugh, watch a favorite show, and sometimes even eat some ice cream (my favorite snack) together. That is as pleasant as any evening I can come up with after a long day at work.

How does she do it all?! I don't know. She has a super power that rivals that of Mary Poppins. Actually on second thought, it's not even right to call it a super power. That would imply she's miraculously received the ability to do all these things with ease. That wouldn't be exactly true. She works at it, she studies parenting and constantly looks for ways to improve. And while I do believe the good Lord has uniquely gifted her in the area of mothering and wiving (Did I just make up a word?), she still has hard days and sometimes gets exhausted by all the work. She takes it with grace, doesn't take it out on anyone, and never complains. Ultimately, her amazing ability comes from a place that reflects the heart of Christ - a heart that's rooted in serving, giving, humility, selflessness, and love. 

I couldn't have a better life partner, or mother to our children then the one our family has in Kaitlin. She's the heart behind so much of our family and the glue that unites us together and helps drive us to be better. She truly is extraordinary and I appreciate and love her beyond words. 

Happy Mother's Day, Kaitlin.

Love,
Steven, Ellie, and Paige



No comments :

Post a Comment