Thursday, September 4, 2014

Wednesday events




Yesterday was a beautiful day that Steven and I spent together, just the two of us. It started with a leisurely morning and then mid morning hike. We have been hiking somewhere new each time and I am enjoying the new surroundings. However, after we were on this certain path for a little Steven was leading a couple feet ahead of me and...I keep a very good eye on the path...not just because I'm graceful, but there are some bugs, insects, etc I want to be aware of and it's a good thing I do because...right by Steven's foot there was about a foot and half long SNAKE!!!! I of course scream/jump and Steven looks down and sees the snake slither through his feet and across the path to the other side, into the bushes. He laughed at me and thought I had been attacked by something, but no, just that I SAW a snake close by. If you couldn't tell I'm terrified of snakes. They are one thing I was dreading coming across after we moved here (Alaska supposedly doesn't have any...and I never saw one the whole 6 years I was there...thank goodness). And just my luck I have seen 2 snakes already within the month we've been here. On one of the first hikes I went on when I got here, it was just my girlfriend and I and we brought up snakes. She was glad to hear I was just as afraid of snakes as she is because she said she would feel bad running away from a snake while leaving me, the pregnant lady, behind. But I reassured her I'd be right there with her screaming AND running. Ugh, I need to get over my fear one these days.

Well, other than the snake occurrence on the hike it was beautiful and peaceful. Then close to where we hiked is an area called Hyde Park, with some cute shops, cafes and restaurants. So we ate lunch at one place, walked to a toy store called G. Willikers (cleaver name I must say) and then a candy/ice cream place called Goody's. Oh so yummy it was! We will definitely be making that a regular stop.





Then home we went. We cleaned up and laid down with a book and ended up falling asleep for like 2 hours. The evening came and we stopped by our church's youth event called Chocolate Syrup Slip n' Slim. It's crazy fun for all of them. They recreate the Nickelodeon green slim on one tarp slide. Then on the bottom of another they do chocolate syrup. They spray the slides with water and the kids just keep going down them into either the slim or the chocolate pools at the bottom. It's a great way for youth to see church can be fun and makes kids want to come back for more.


It was a great day, like many. Steven only works 3 days a week and the other 4 is quite enjoyed by us doing things just the two of us or with friends!




2 comments :

  1. Glad that you guys are enjoying your time so far. Goody's is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love following your adventures ! I don't like snakes either! Also, that toy store's name is GENIUSSS! I love it!

    ReplyDelete